- Now that hurricane season is over, it’s a good time to clean the leaves from the gutters and make sure they haven’t sustained any damage. While this season is relatively dry, there is still the occasional storm, and if your gutters are blocked up or damaged it could lead to a soggy mess.
- If you haven’t already, you should schedule routine maintenance for your air conditioning unit. Your A/C company will make sure that everything is in working condition and that you aren’t on the verge of a catastrophe.
- If you don’t outsource lawn maintenance, it’s a good time to trim back bushes and trees since the cooler weather means that plant growth will slow down considerably. This will help your plants to grow back fuller and stronger once Spring rolls around.
Poke Around Inside
- Check around windows and doors to ensure that the doorstops and seals are in good condition. You can caulk any cracks and replace worn doorstops to ensure that your home stays well insulated.
- While you’re putting your Christmas decorations up in the attic, check the insulation and roofing to make sure everything is in good shape. Make sure nothing appears to be leaking and that your insulation is able to keep the warm air in, and the cold air out.
- Reprogram your thermostat for cooler weather. Typically you won’t even need to turn the air conditioner on during the day, so you can save money on your energy bill by setting your thermostat to a higher temperature and keeping your A/C from cranking unnecessarily.
- If you haven’t done so recently, you should replace the air filter for your A/C unit and test the battery in your smoke alarms. These things should typically be done every few months, if not more often.
You’ve invested a lot of time and money into your custom home, so it’s important to take the necessary steps to maintain it. This way, you and your family can continue to enjoy it for years to come. Sometimes home maintenance can feel like a full time job, so you may want to consider hiring a handyman that can handle the odd jobs you need done. This way you can spend more of your time enjoying the home you’ve built.